New Headway Intermediate 1
|IT-BC-3||BIT||1st||Compulsory-Elective - group A|
|Hour/sem||Lectures||Sem. Exercises||Lab. exercises||Comp. exercises||Other|
|Guarantee:||Baumgartnerová Alena, PaedDr., DFL|
|Instructor:||Sedláček Pavel, Mgr., DFL|
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Foreign Languages FEEC BUT|
| || ||Acquisition of new vocabulary. Developing grammar knowledge. Developing the language skills: reading, speaking, listening and writing. Introducing and revising common phrases of spoken English. Work with semi-technical texts.|
| || ||A standard course of English for intermediate students BAN4 orientated on both general and technical English. An integrated approach is applied during teaching this course. After a grammar section with many tasks highlighting the new grammar, there is at least one activity for speaking, listening, reading and writing in every unit. There is a strong lexical component in the course. Technical texts are subject specific but the teacher's objective is teaching language, not subject knowledge.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||To pass the BAN2 course or to acquire "31 - 40" points in the entrance language test.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||To be able to speak about topics contained in the textbook accurately and fluently (with a certain error tolerance). To be able to use basic reading techniques (scanning, skimming, selecting what is relevant). To be able to follow English lessons, to follow instructions, desciptions and explanations, to take notes when listening. To be able to write a formal and informal letter, to send a fax, to fill in a form, to describe a person and a place. To be able to understand a complicated sentence construction and relations between sentences from a language point of view; to acquire new semi-technical vocabulary.|
|Generic learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||This course fulfills Level A2 of the European Council Reference Frame.|
|Syllabus of numerical exercises:|
- 1. - 2. Grammar: tense revision - pres. simple a continuous. Vocabulary: social networks, the internet.
- 3. - 4. Grammar: past simple, present perfect. Vocabulary: starting a new business, phrasal verbs.
- 5. - 6. Grammar: will, may, might, be likely / possible. Vocabulary: describing cause and effect.
- 7. - 8. Grammar: making comparisons. Vocabulary: city descriptions, -ing vs -ed adjectives.
- 9. - 10. Grammar: modal and related verbs. Vocabulary: colours and colour idioms, prefixes.
- 11. - 12. Technical texts, revision.
- 13. Credit test.
- Harding, K.; Lane, A.: International Express intermediate, 3rd edition (EN)
- Soubor technických textů, gram. a lexikálních cvičení k samostatné práci (EN)
- Support for home-training: <http://www.feec.vutbr.cz/UJAZ/evyuka
| || ||75% attendance, fulfilling the tasks.|
| || ||Credit test: 24 - 40 points.|
- listening comprehension: 15 - 30 points,
- reading comprehension: 15 - 30 points.