English for IT
|IT-BC-3||BIT||2nd||Compulsory-Elective - group A|
|Hour/sem||Lectures||Sem. Exercises||Lab. exercises||Comp. exercises||Other|
|Guarantee:||©edrlová Magdalena, Mgr., DFL|
|Instructor:||Ellederová Eva, Mgr. Ing., DFL|
©edrlová Magdalena, Mgr., DFL
|Faculty:||Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Communication BUT|
|Department:||Department of Foreign Languages FEEC BUT|
|Tue||exercise - ©edrlová||lectures||T10/323||11:00||12:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - ©edrlová||lectures||T10/323||11:00||12:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Tue||exercise - ©edrlová||lectures||T10/323||11:00||12:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
|Wed||exercise - Ellederová||lectures||T10/326||09:00||10:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Wed||exercise - Ellederová||lectures||T10/326||09:00||10:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Wed||exercise - Ellederová||lectures||T10/326||09:00||10:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - ©edrlová||lectures||T10/323||13:00||14:50||2BIA||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - ©edrlová||lectures||T10/323||13:00||14:50||2BIB||xx||xx|
|Thu||exercise - ©edrlová||lectures||T10/323||13:00||14:50||3BIT||xx||xx|
| || ||The aim of the course is to develop all language competences and the presentation of the language functions characteristic for the professional language in IT:|
- Understanding specific technical information in both spoken and written forms.
- The ability to communicate in specific situations related to the development and presentation of devices and their parts and components. The ability to express one´s ideas and discuss the issues and current trends in technology.
| || ||The course is aimed at the development of language competencies required by the students future professional environment. Seminars are focused on the means, functions and style of professional language in IT and practising its correct use in professional contexts. IT topics may be discussed in their relations to humanities and business. Speaking, listening and reading (skimming and scanning) skills are practiced. Professional topics for discussion are based on the textbook materials and are aimed at the development of specific vocabulary learned within listening and reading activities.|
|Knowledge and skills required for the course:|
| || ||This course is suitable for students who acquired at least 51 points in the entrance language test or who successfully passed an intermediate English exam on level B1.|
|Subject specific learning outcomes and competences:|
| || |
- Students are able to discuss the basic subjects of IT.
- They describe technical functions and applications and explain how the particular technologies work, list and describe various types of technical problems and causes of faults and are able to discuss possible solutions.
- They are able to work with professional texts and find the required information, have the knowledge of professional language functions and their manifestations and use them correctly.
|Generic learning outcomes and competences:|
| || ||This course fulfills Level B2 of the European Council Reference Frame.|
- Erich H. Glendinning, John Mc Ewan: Oxford English for Information Technology
| || ||At least 75% attendance and active participation at classes, fulfilment of given assignments, test, exam.|